Wednesday, September 28, 2005

My Name is Earl

I am by no means a big television fan. Especially network tv. But last Tuesday night my channel surfing better-half happened to be passing NBC just at the time this new program was debuting.

Earl (Jason Lee) immediately caught my attention. Within minutes I was laughing out loud. It seems that the best comedy is when I am reminded of folks that I can relate to. (Not that Earl reminds me of any of my relatives. It's that other bunch the next county over that I am reminded of most.)

Earl was on a downward spiral. He and his brother Randy (Ethan Suplee) were unemployed. His wife Joy (Jamie Pressly) leaves with Earl Jr. for their friend and bartender Darnell (Eddie Steeples) to whom Earl Jr. bears a striking resemblance.

Things seem to be looking up when Earl scratches off a winning lottery ticket. As he walks across the street with his ticket, he is hit by a car and loses the ticket.

Recovering in the hospital, Earl watches a show where Carson Daly says that all his good fortune is the result of doing good things for other people. Earl discovers karma. Hoping to reverse the course of his life, Earl makes a list of every bad thing he has done in his life and begins a quest to make ammends.

With a list of over two hundred offences, this series is planning for the long haul.

I don't buy into the whole karma thing, but the show is fun.

"Do good things and good things will happen to you. Do bad things and it will come back and bite you in the ass. " - Earl

Let's see if Earl has enough good in him and if this show can answer the age-old question: How good is good enough?

No comments: