Friday, November 25, 2005

The Heroes of Prevenient Grace

The Grace of our Lord finds many paths into our lives. The method most common to all is probably our conscience. Everyone has an inner awareness that tells us that some things are right and others are wrong. We also are aware that failure to do certain things or to act in certain ways is wrong.

Another pathway of grace is through our experiences. The Spirit can be seen in both good and bad experiences. We may not always recognize the workings of the Spirit at the time, but many times, looking back, we can plainly see that certain experiences point us toward God or bring us closer to dependence upon God.

But to me, the most obvious tool used by the Spirit to bring grace into our lives is through the people who influence our lives. Not only the folks that we normally consider to be Christian witnesses, but everyone who has an impact on our life.

I am going to begin with my very next post a series of essays about the people who have had a hand in making me who I am today. My heroes.

No comments: