Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Alabama'a Bible Literacy

Legislators in Alabama have proposed a bill that would authorize public schools to offer an elective class on the Bible's influence on cultures, history, literature, and the arts. I don't have all the details, but I will agree that Alabama is in dire need of some education on the Bible.

Less than two years ago the mostly Christian state of Alabama voted to retain one of the most unfair tax codes in existence. Over 20% of the children in Alabama live in poverty, yet Alabama's tax structure is weighted very much in the favor of the very rich. Alabama has very low property taxes which can only benefit the rich as most of the poor don't own real property. Alabama has high sales tax rates, even on food products. Statistics show that, in the poorest families, over 25% of income is spent on food for daily sustenance. But the greatest injustice in Alabama's tax code is the income tax. The poorest workers in the state - which accounts for 60% of the state's workers - 11% of their income goes to state income tax. The wealthiest 1% in the state pay less than 4% tax. In Alabama a family with yearly income as low as $4,600 is taxed on that income. In neighboring Mississippi income is not taxed until it exceeds $19,000. The Alabama tax structure has not been modified since 1933.

93% of Alabamans identify themselves as Christian, yet a proposed tax bill that would have addressed these issues was overwhelmingly defeated by Alabama voters in 2003.

Does Alabama need education on Biblical literacy?

I think they need to not only teach literacy, but also Biblical morals.

5 comments:

Greg Hazelrig said...

I actually live in Mississippi, but I agree that all our states could use a course like this. There is a problem however. A problem which leads me towards the side of separation of church and state.

The ones teaching would have to be careful about how they teach. No, I don't mean because of those awful atheists. I mean because of our own. Think of a very conservative teacher teaching a liberal's kid's class. Or think of a very liberal thinking Christian teaching a conservative's kid's class.

If one's agenda came out, then there could be just as many lawsuits and fighting as it is with those who are trying to rid our society of God. It's a shame...but I fear it could happen.

Again, I still would love to have these electives. And I would love to have our kids know more about Biblical facts and Biblical morals. I just think that it would take the right kind of teacher.

Tony said...

I agree with your concerns. I do believe that separation of church and state is a good thing and that every time the church attempts to cross that line the church ends up the loser.

If I had more time I would have brought up many more points, but the main thing that I see wrong with the issue is that Alabama tries to make itself look like a pious, heavily Christian state yet totally ignores the folks that Christ called us to care for.

Greg Hazelrig said...

I wonder if that might not be the case in all the bible belt. I mean there are definitely some good things going on. For instance, we are trying to start up a new church/ministry for outreach to those who are not welcomed or don't feel comfortable in the mainstream churches. But the fact that there are people who don't feel welcomed in the first place is disturbing.

I would assume that there are some good ministries going on there in AL as well. But we both know what seems to get the most press...the bad stuff. Wouldn't it be great if we all acted like Christians. Then there wouldn't be the problem that you've brought up. For true Christians care for their neighbors...even when these neighbors are Samaritans (ones they dislike or don't want to associate with).

Greg Hazelrig said...

Tony, this email was sent to me. I am doing as requested and posting it here. Hopefully it will be self-explanatory:


Greg,

I saw your response to the Alabama post on Tony's blog. I don't have
time
right now to register, but here is my response. If you could copy Tony
on
this that would be great (I didn't see an email addy for him).
Regardless, sorry for this email disturbance -- I will take time to
register
properly and post next time.

Wow! As a lifelong resident of the Belt Buckle of the Bible Belt
(Alabama),
I'd have to say that I agree completely with your post.
I must mention that Gov. Riley did make an appeal to Christians to
consider
their beliefs and make the right choice in the context of some of the
facts
you described in your post, but his tax plan was voted down. And, it
was a
Christian organization that mobilized voters to vote against the
governor's
plan.
Also, Judge Roy Moore is somewhat of an embarrassment to me. I've heard
of
harsh decisions and lack of mercy on his part in certain cases and I
feel he
is using the 10 commandments and Christianity for his own personal
gain.
Sad.

eric

Tony said...

Thanks again, BroGreg!