Monday, April 19, 2010

Life in the ICU - 3

Life in the ICU - 3

The phone on the wall across from me rang. A nurse ran out of the ICU, pointed at me and said, “That is for you!” My heart skipped a beat. Had something gone wrong? Was it worse than we thought? My soul was struck with grief.

“Hello”

“Tony, it’s Homer. Tell me what’s going on.”

In a moment of solitary agony nothing is as welcome as a familiar voice. Dr. Homer had learned of Patty’s predicament as he made his rounds at Donalsonville Hospital that morning. I was so struck with dread that I could barely respond. The pain in my cry must have been obvious. After a couple of stammered sentences I was back to the hallway pacing and praying, “Yea though I walk through the valley…..” And I was at that moment in the valley.

Fearing no evil is easy to say but very difficult to do. Especially when alone, without backup. Thoughts ran through my mind that morning that I wish to never have to think again. Worst case scenarios. What would I do if……? How would we…..? Oh my God, what about Drew?

Talking to Homer helped. I calmed down considerably more when Jack walked in. After filling him in on the details, we both settled down to a shocked silence. After a while Homer and Ronnie Shingler showed up. And soon after many other family members showed up.

Patty and I have always been of the mind that if you are part of our lives then you are family. Yes we do have lots of kin, but we also have numerous families and many family members. Church family, school family, work family, community family. The family spirit began showing itself that morning. That family spirit and outpouring of love is what began in me the process of claiming a conviction of faith that all will be well.

A friend loves at all times, and kinsfolk are born to share adversity.

(Pro 17:17 NRSV)

Or as the Message says it:

Friends love through all kinds of weather, and families stick together in all kinds of trouble.

(Pro 17:17 MSG)

And God knows all you whom we call family have stuck with us in this time of trouble. The outpouring of love has been overwhelming and humbling. I have known for almost three decades that Patty is one special child of God. It fills my heart with joy to know that all of you think so too.

As the family love began to comfort my breaking heart, Dr. Crenshaw came out and informed me that the surgeon was on the way to insert a tube into Patty’s chest wall to remove fluid that had accumulated.

Surgeon?!?

The foreboding dread returned full force.

No comments: