Sunday, April 18, 2010

Life in the ICU, Part 2.

As I sat in the waiting room wondering what was going on with Patty, my fears nearly got the best of me. Being alone and helpless in an unfamiliar place, unable to do anything to help a loved one in distress is very likely one of the most frightening experiences of my life. I did not panic, but did become very uneasy in spirit.

Not long ago, after seeing a speaker who gave an excellent talk with no notes, I began to try to memorize scripture. I began with some easy ones: my favorite verse of the Bible, Micah 6:8 and another favorite Psalm 51:10. After memorizing a few verses, I became a little more ambitious. Going back to childhood memories of Sunday School and Vacation Bible School, I remembered that as a child I had committed to memory the 23rd Psalm. If I could memorize an entire chapter as a child, I should be able to accomplish the same feat as an adult. I tried it using the NRSV and the NIV but it just didn’t sound right. I ended up going back to the King James:

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

(Psa 23:1-6)

In my moment of anguish, I began pacing the hallway reciting that Psalm as a prayer. After several repetitions of that I went through the Lord’s prayer a couple of times. Then some of the other verses that I had committed to memory. This worked well to somewhat calm my nerves.

Some of you veteran prayer warriors may not appreciate my elementary mode of prayer, but it worked and I believe is as valid an approach to God as any other. I could have just as easily walked up and down the hall saying the ABC’s or multiplication tables. God would have heard my cries either way.

Patty was unconscious, but I have no doubt that God heard her cries as well.

Rom 8:24-27 For in hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what is seen? (25) But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience. (26) Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words. (27) And God, who searches the heart, knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

Even if we do not know how to pray as we ought, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us. That is a very comforting thought. I heard one person say this week that if you do not believe that your prayer is going to be answered and believe that a miracle was going to happen than you might as well not even pray. I kind of agree and disagree with that statement. Faith is, I believe, one key ingredient to answered prayer. But the power of prayer is not at all reliant on any quality of the one doing the praying. I believe that God hears and listens to prayer even if that prayer comes from an enemy of God. The power of prayer is in no way related to how eloquent the words or how faithful the supplicant. There is only one key element to a powerful prayer: you’ve got to pray it. So I welcome all of the prayers for Patty. Even if you don’t even believe in God, God believes in you. Cry out in distress and God gets it. Every time.

More later…….

No comments: